On Saturday, October 12th, 2013, KLA Chess Club joined thousands of other chess player from around the country to celebrate “National Chess Day.” There is actually a little bit of history behind National Chess Day, as it is more than just a self-proclaimed day from the USCF. I won’t go into the history, but you can read it here, if you want.
Besides the motivation of having free tournament fees for hosting a tournament on National Chess Day, it is a step in the right direction to promote the KLA Chess Program as we hosted the Gompers Prep Chess Team. Overall, there were nearly 40 students in attendance with nearly 100 games played in three divisions. It was a great experience for our students, as well as building relationships in the community in what we hope to be a good connection to promoting chess in southeast San Diego.
Notable KLA performances include:
– Abel Estrada, 5th place finish in the Novice Division
– Angelica Williamson- 4th place finish in the Intermediate Division
– Samuel Estrada- 5th place finish in the Intermediate Division
– Pedro Rojas- 5th place finish in the Open Division
– Stetson Beck- Champion of the Open Division.